Re: Useless ideas for the day

* Preben Randhol <randhol@pvv.org> writes:

> Miguel de Icaza <miguel@nuclecu.unam.mx> writes:
> |   1. Applet to monitor a log file, doing some sort of tail -f on the
> |      flie, so that I can check my logs without having a terminal
> |      open.

> Wouldn't it be kinda hard to monitor 80 chars long lines in say 80
> pixels width?

I´m currently struggling with my "gtail" program (just plain GTK at
the moment), but I already thought of extending it to an applet (or
rather adding one). I want gtail to monitor multiple files, using
notebooks.

Some ideas: each monitored file get its own applet. This applet would
not actually display the messages, but let the user define some regexp´s
(e.g. display all kernel messages in /var/log/messages), and these are
then monitored. Each regexp can be associated with a color, and the color
is used to write the number of regexp-occurences since {the start of the
applet|the beginning of the day}.

If one clicks on the applet, the real app starts up, selecting the
right notebook-page in gtail (or logview or whatever).

Now, if I would just be a good programmer, and knew how to program
Gnome and applets...

Back to fighting memory corruption (btw, what are people using for
debugging this? Electric Fence with EF_PROTECT_FREE eats up all my
RAM because of all the GTK stuff...).

Colin

--
Colin Marquardt <colin.marquardt@gmx.de>