Re: gnome-terminal, X resources and function key programming.

>Eyup,

Whippets!

>I am on a quest and I'm accepting any and all nuggets of wisdom you
>might wish to give.  The quest is two fold:
>a) to get the menu popped with a right click on the root window to
>   start a terminal with a login shell.  Currently it's not and if I
>   start one with the panel and re-login, then it doesn't seem to be a
>   login shell.

I think (don't have Gnome at work) that there is a checkbox in the
preferences dialog that tells gnome-terminal to use a login shell. You can
bring this up by Ctrl+right-clicking in the terminal window if you've turned
off the menu bar. For terminals launched from the panel, change the launcher
or menu entry to use "gnome-terminal --login".

>b) to assign some arbitrary strings to function keys.  I can't find
>   any none-source documentation for gnome-terminal or kvt which
>   allows me the sort of functionality that the Translations class
>   class for xterm does.

Sorry, I don't know. However, I think gnome-terminal uses the same terminal
emulation code as xterm, if that helps?

>I am aware of and would be happy for your guidance on:
>a) the fact I might be using the list inappropiately;  I have watched
>   the list for a short time and see much more traffic on the design
>   and development of gnome apps rather than usage.  I am not aware
>   of a better place I came here from the gnome.org web page.

I think questions like yours are exactly what this list is for. I'm one of
the worst offenders when it comes to cluttering it with discussions which
belong on gnome-devel-list.  :)

>b) my assumption that gnome apps would rely on X resources for
>   configuraion information.  While most X terminal emulators have
>   previously used this method, gnome may have a different approach.
>   I admit to being unaware of it, I have used gnome for less than a
>   week but I am trying to find this information w/o resorting to
>   source code.

It would make a lot of sense for Gnome apps to use X resources, but I don't
think libgnome includes any hooks into the X resources database. Maybe it
should, to avoid having 100 different config files cluttering my home
directory. Not that I'm capable of adding those hooks.  :|

>For the record I installed RedHat 6.0 on my desktop PC while a SUN
>server was on it's back at work, decided to take a gander at gnome and
>while it seems highly configurable I am stymied by the lack of
>information about config NOT done by mouse.  I am relatively
>proficient with Linux and X.

I think the Gnome developers are trying to move away from
config-file-hacking in favour of GUI-driven configuration. In a lot of cases
this makes sense, but I think there's still a place for X resources.

Michael Rogers