Re: File manager tree.

>You NEED to be root for some things... Creating accounts comes to mind. If

Yes.

>you are smart, you wont "rm -rf /*". "adduser bob" and "rm -rf /*" arnt
>verry close. Pull the message out of gmc and put it into its own program.

No, but "rm -rf . /*" is very close to "rm -rf ./*". Note the space.

>Then for the people who know what they are doing can remove the message by
>removing it out of the session. The people who know what they are doing
>dont see an anoying message, and the people who dont, get a nice warning
>message. If a user knows enough to pull the message out of the session,
>then they know enough not to mess up.

Running all, windowmanager, etc as root is not a good idea IMHO, bad
behaving programs under root are not a nice thing to watch. And how do you
test things? An admin task: arrange the ftp, deleting all what is wrong.
Will you launch a program as root to check it (Blender comes to mind, I did
this yesterday). I will not. I did not. :]

I think that the correct solution is to design a way to do things as root,
but not all. In other words, a Gnome-su or other system (a big icon switch
that allows you ru run next things as root? you click it, input pass, launch
a term and it is a root shell). I always use "/bin/su - root" a lot. I keep
one terminal with it normally (and it is correctly marked, it is the one
with red prompt [root@machine dir] #).

GSR