Re: .xinit

> I'd really like a console that tails the /var/log/messages, but as yet
> have not been able to figure out how to do this using the .xinit.

Probably the best way to do this is to use session managment with a
command like:

    xterm -T "/var/log/messages" -n "/var/log/messages" -e tail -f /var/log/messages

I found a `RedHat 6.0' friendly way of changing X settings.  I created
this file:

    $HOME/.Xclients

Which looks like this:

    #!/usr/local/bin/tcsh

    xhost + <machine>

    if ( -x /etc/X11/xinit/Xclients ) then
        exec /etc/X11/xinit/Xclients
    else
        exec xsm
    endif

Since I use `tcsh', this allows me to get the right environment
settings (the path, etc) for launching things from the control-panel.
So this is a good way to incorporate your personalized shell
configurations.

I'm not sure if it works to start an Xclient where I have the `xhost'
command.  I think it would be better to use the session manager.

        -Fred