Re: Missing colors in Gnome

On Sat, Jul 31, 1999 at 02:51:24PM +0200, Gustav Schaffter wrote:
> Whenever I start emacs or asWedit from an xterm under Gnome, I get a number
> of the following messages (just showing two here):
>
> Warning: Cannot allocate colormap entry for "DarkSlateGray"
>   - or -
> Warning: Cannot allocate colormap entry for "#238E23"

You are starting X in 8 bpp, which means 8 bit color, or 256 total.
If you are using enlightenment, there go most of them.  Solution?  Run
in 16 bpp, 16 bit color, a much happier 65536 colors, or even 24 or 32
bpp (more colors than you can see, that's for sure).

How to do this?  If you're using startx, try something like
`startx -- -bpp 16'.  If you're using xdm or gdm or something, I'm not
sure, look in the conf files.  :-)

If you have more questions, this is really X related and not GNOME
related.

--
Ian Peters  | GnuPG Key ID 5C23D20C    | "He that breaks a thing to find out
itp@gnu.org | E584 2558 FAC3 BEAB EFAC |  what it is has left the path of