Missing colors in Gnome

Hi,

I'm new to this list, but I'll have to give it a try without having lurked
around for a while. If I do something wrong, pls flame me in private mail.
:-)

I have looked through the Gnome FAQ, without finding my answer. I have also
glanced through the list of known bugs, but even if I didn't spend the time
to actually read all reports, I couldn't find a subject close to mine.

Here we go:

Whenever I start emacs or asWedit from an xterm under Gnome, I get a number
of the following messages (just showing two here):

Warning: Cannot allocate colormap entry for "DarkSlateGray"
  - or -
Warning: Cannot allocate colormap entry for "#238E23"

emacs starts up and looks decent, though probably not as good as it
should/could. (Green and pink are not my favorites, but I can stand them.)
asWedit OTOH starts up in black and white only, which is a lot more
irritating. On the whole, I'd like to get rid of this behavior.

This happens, wether I have other X applications running or not.
This does *not* happen under neither KDE nor AnotherLevel where the
applications comes up painted with no error messages.  This is why I turn
to the Gnome list. :-)

For emacs, the behavior has been the same since day one of my RH6.0
installation. I just installed asWedit.

These are my Gnome related (rpm -qa | grep gnome) rpms:

gnome-core-devel-1.0.7-2
gnome-audio-1.0.0-6
gnome-audio-extra-1.0.0-6
gnome-games-devel-1.0.2-10
gnome-libs-1.0.10-2
gnome-linuxconf-0.22-1
gnome-media-1.0.1-3
gnome-objc-1.0.2-4
gnome-objc-devel-1.0.2-4
gnome-pim-1.0.7-2
gnome-pim-devel-1.0.7-2
gnome-users-guide-1.0.5-4rh
gnome-utils-1.0.1-6
switchdesk-gnome-1.7.0-1
gnome-core-1.0.7-2
gnome-games-1.0.2-11
gnome-libs-devel-1.0.10-2

And enlightenment:

enlightenment-conf-0.15-6
enlightenment-0.15.5-36

If any additional information is required, I'll be happy to provide it.

My questions:
1) Am I the only one having the problem, or is it known before?
2) Does anyone have any clue of how a newbie like me could solve this?

Best regards
Gustav

 --

JFK, assassination plot, sex, money laundering, blackmail, hacking, security, encryption, bomb, CIA, NSA, KGB, Russia, Lockerbie, terrorism, child abuse, drug dealing, espionage.

pgp = Pretty Good Privacy

http://www.schaffter.com