Re: oops - gnome-terminal patch v2 :)

+++ Thu, Jul 29, 1999 at 04:18:38PM -0500 +++
Miguel de Icaza e-mails me. Film at 11. Reply right now, after the break.

> > This adds a rightclick->set titlebar option to gnome-terminal.  Handy for
> > having dozens of terminals open...
>
> Wouldnt it be easier to just have a shell script that would set the
> title bar?  You could call it "terminal-control".
>
> termina-control --title="My Title"

Allow me to shamelessly lobbyise again here for a toolbar item, menu
entry or context menu item that will open a GMC window in the current
working directory of the shell inside a gnome-terminal.

In theory, this should work like this:
- find out which process is attached to the terminal
- use libgtop to figure out the process' working directory
- spawn GMC window in that directory (gmc <dir>)

Unfortunately, I am not able to code this. I have got but the scarcest
knowledge of the system libraries one would need to do this, and I
don't know anything about gnome-terminal's guts and the module
interface.

This would improve the terminal's Gnome integration immensely.

Now, you will tell me "but all you've got to do is type `gmc'". No.
That works when I'm directly in the shell.  The described feature
would come in most handy when I _can't_ get at the command line
because I'm running something, for example vim. Even when I'm directly
at the CLI and want to drag a file into the gnome-terminal window, it
is IMHO more efficient to open the GMC window with a click.

Anyway, this could be configured to spawn *any* application.

Maybe I will be able to learn about all of this, code it and send you
a patch. Maybe next year or such. For the meantime, I offer the one
who tries to code this my eternal admiration. :)

mawa
--
If someone criticises your attitude towards an operating system and
your only answer is "get laid", this indicates that you have either