Gnome problems..

Ok.. Not much response on the last one.. Course there wasnt enough info on my part either.. Here is what I have for GNOME:

SuSE6.1
gnome-core  1.0.6
control-center  1.0.5
gnome-audio 1.0.0
Enlightenment 0.15.5
esound  0.2.8
libaudiofile  0.1.6
imlib  1.9.4
Kernel 2.2.7
xsvga-3.3.4-8.i386.rpm

I am having some serious problems with the sound and gnome.. It might be partly on Enlightenment, but lets give it a try.. I want to get my panel to startup on startx.. I have tried everything I could find.. The only thing in my .xinitrc is the executable for enlightenment.. That is all.. My .xsession has the windowmanager and all of tha other good stuff.. I dont know if that has anything to do with startx.. I have gnome as my wm in yast but I dont think it matters since I have already edited my .xinitrc.. I have tried startx gnome, export GNOMEDIR=/opt/gnome, export WINDOWMANAGER=gnome.. I still have to manually startup the panel.. How can I get gnome to startup on startx automatically? Also I cant use the gnome control center.. I use it and nothing happens.. The small virtual window in the corner shows it start but nothing happens on my desktop.. What is going on with the control panel? I am also having some sound problems.. If I leave the enable sound 'off' in my e-conf the!
n I can use MP3 players and stuff in E.. If I enable it then I always get a device or resource is busy.. I am assuming that gnome will probably have nothing to do with this.. I dont have the sound compiled in my kernel.. I am using the OSS commercial software.. I can use sound in a terminal and I can use sound when the sound is off in e.. Is there any way to do both? Please help.. I have been trying different things for a long time now.. Thanks..

-t