Re: Gnome & WindowMaker - may try it again

"Brian E. Seppanen" <seppanen@bresnanlink.net> writes:

| On Sat, 19 Jun 1999, Paul Barnfather wrote:
|
| > I have written up a guide for using WindowMaker with GNOME at
| > http://www.clanger9.demon.co.uk/computer/gnome/windowmaker.html
|
| I've gone through and done exactly what is detailed here.  I'm using
| RedHat Linux 5.1.  I've compiled most of the stuff myself (careful to
| include  the required flags). I just this weekend updated to
| gnome-core-1.0.9, and gnome-libs-1.0.12.  Gnome-core I compiled
| --with-windowmanager=wmaker flag.  If I include exec gnome-session in my
| .xinitrc it without fail starts enlightenment.  Once enlightenment starts
| it opens window after window after window after window.  Mostly xterms,
| with a couple of netscape sessions.
|
| For the record my ~/.gnome/session file is filled with stuff, and I'm
| wondering if this is where its launching all of these xterms from.
|
| However, no panel is launched.  Nothing to really indicate it's a
| gnome-session at all in my mind.  It just looks like enlightenment, and I
| don't want that, please...
|
| echo $WINDOW_MANAGER returns wmaker.
|
| Previously I started WindowMaker via .xinitrc exec wmaker, and have just
| been starting the panel via commandline, which wmaker was then restarting
| via session management.
|
| This is really frustrating and I'm hoping someone can help.  From my
| perspective, I've done everything that needs to be done, and it just
| doesn't work.   I'm not a newbie and that makes it additionaly
| frustrating.

I also had a problem with enlightenment always starting, my quick and
dirty solution was simply to uninstall enlightenment from my computer.

Btw: Since you have RedHat, you should check your .Xclients file as
RedHat uses this by default.

I don't use the gnome-session so my startup looks like this:

bell-properties-capplet --init-session-settings &
screensaver-properties-capplet --init-session-settings &
rm $HOME/.panel.errors
panel 2>> $HOME/.panel.errors&
exec gnome-wm

--
Preben Randhol             oO     "Don't think about domination,  think
[randhol@pvv.org]        .`  ;     about freedom, it doesn't dominate."