Re: AW: introduction / first question

On Sun, 25 Jul 1999 HARDY.BOEHM@LHSYSTEMS.COM wrote:

> 	I figured that ... and it IS run, but I am told that it weren't
> Gnome Compliant!

OK, which window manager is run, though?

> 	Hardy, we need more information on the situation in order to help.
> How are
> 	you starting GNOME, what does your screen look like when you get the
> error,
> 	and do you have any information that would help us reproduce the
> problem?
> 	I have SuSE Linux 6.1
> 	I did not change any Startup Scripts for X.
> 	My env for
> -	WINDOWMANAGER
> -	WM
> -	WINDOW_MANAGER
>
> Are set to gnome

That would be incorrect - gnome is not a window manager. GNOME pays
attention to the $WINDOW_MANAGER variable, and if you leave it unset, it
will try to find a reasonable default by itself (see the 'gnome-wm'
script.)

> Then I use startx to start x

OK, that's the way I do it too, that shouldn't be the problem.
-- Elliot