broken gnorpm

I used to have no trouble running gnorpm, but it stopped working one day.
Perhaps some cvs gnome piece I installed?  When I run gnorpm 0.8 as a
normal user, I get a popup that says:

cannot open file /var/lib/rpm/nameindex.rpm: Invalied argument

and it dumps core.  When I run as root, I get the following:

GnomeUI-WARNING **: While connecting to session manager:
Authentication Rejected, reason : None of the authentication protocols
specified are supported and host-based authentication failed.

root has no trouble running other X applications.  Can anyone tell me what
I've broken?

Nathan Clegg
 nathan@islanddata.com