GNOME Summary, July 11-18

This is the GNOME Summary for  July 11-18.

  Table of Contents

 1)  Project Sunlight
 2)  Dave's API Documentation FAQ
 3)  GNOME Programming Guidelines
 4)  Freenix Call for Papers
 5)  GNOME Workshop Module
 6)  Hacking Activity
 7)  New and Updated Software

Whee! Another late summary. But I'm finished moving now, and we're on
schedule for next week. Also, the summaries are now being posted to:

  http://developer.gnome.org/news/summary/index.html

So check that out.

 1)  Project Sunlight

Elliot added a Bonobo interface to the Gimp, so you can embed editable
Gimp images in other applications. Pretty neat. It's in CVS; you have
to check out Gimp with the 'project-sunlight' tag. Ask him why it's
called Project Sunlight, I have no idea. :-)

 2)  Dave's API Documentation FAQ

 3)  GNOME Programming Guidelines

This isn't exactly new, but it is worth mentioning since it's never
gotten as much publicity as it should. If you're writing GNOME code,
please read our programming guidelines. This is an extremely useful
document from Federico and Miguel.

  http://developer.gnome.org/doc/guides/programming-guidelines/

 4)  Freenix Call for Papers

The free software track at Usenix is interested in papers about
Gnome. If you have an interesting Gnome-related project to talk about,
submit an abstract! See:

  http://www.usenix.org/events/usenix2000/cfp/freenix.html

 5)  GNOME Workshop Module

I checked in a gnome-workshop module to CVS, along with some initial
scripts. The idea is to make a complete GNOME Workshop release, so
people can download an entire office suite in one go, instead of
having to track down the individual components. If anyone would like
to test my scripts on non-bash Bourne shells, please do.

We'll probably be making some sort of GNOME Workshop combined release
in the near future, with Gnumeric, Gimp, AbiWord, Dia, etc. So look
for that. For now, you can download the components separately of course.

Check out GNOME Workshop at:

  http://www.gnome.org/gw.html

 6)  Hacking Activity

Module Score-O-Matic:

  40 gnumeric
  39 gnome-libs
  36 web-devel-2
  27 gphoto
  26 gnome-applets
  24 gnome-core
  22 gimp
  19 goose
  18 dryad
  16 bonobo
  14 gdict
  13 gnome-ddruid
  12 gdk-pixbuf
  10 gnome-pim
  10 gnome-parted
  10 gmf

User Score-O-Matic:

  38 sopwith
  38 kmaraas
  32 campd
  27 unammx
  24 msw
  24 dcm
  23 hp
  18 spapadim
  15 trow
  15 jrb
  14 pablo
  14 martin
  13 jberkman
  12 jamesh
  11 mmeeks
  10 yosh
  10 johne

I saw GMF doing cool stuff this week (playing a QuickTime movie with
sound); Elliot has been making lots of progress. 'gmf' module in
CVS. Anders Carlsson is adding an MP3 module to it.

There's a gnome-ddruid module now, which is a cool-looking disk
partition editor Matt Wilson is working on. Don't confuse this with
the gnome-druid module.

There was a ton of work on the Dryad IDE from Dave Camp; looks like
it's worth checking out.

There were bunches of changes to Goose, the mathematical engine used
in Guppi, including some new statistical tests and API enhancements.

Jonathan is doing lots of gnome-pilot work, those of you with Palm
Pilots, check this out.

 7)  New and Updated Software

gvsy
GnomePM
GDiary
GPhoto
GNOME Weather
GFlash
VSA
Screem
gchbkgrd
GMyNews
GNOME Anvil
gShogi
gproc
XSitecopy
GnoRPM
DPS-FTP
Glacier
Midnight
NetFerret
GnoNews
Gnome Darxite Clients
GPeriodic
GnoMail
Snurbs
Argonauts
GNU xhippo
GSnes9x

There are also test prereleases for several GNOME core components,
including gnome-pim, gnome-libs, and gnome-core, IIRC. Look for final
releases in the next couple days.

Until next week -

Havoc