Help with sound

I am running RH 6.0 with gnome and enlightenment that is included with RH
(no updates) and running esound 0.2.8 and alsa 0.3.pre4 sound drivers with
an ensoniq es1370 card. This has been giving me fits for weeks now here is
the problem. Most all sound file play correctly (cd, wav, mps's) but
sometimes when I try to play a midi file with timidity I get /dev/dsp device
busy and when I try to play Quake2 I get the same error so no sound in
quake2, it has worked sometimes. I try to do esdctl -standby but this
dosen't seem to want to give up /dev/dsp. Does anyone have the answer to
this. I have read somewhere about killing esd, but this seems like alot of
trouble, I have also read somewhere about compoline esd to use the second
DAC on my soundcard. I hope someone can help. this is the only thing I
haven't gotten to work on my linux box, And it is embarrissing when my
windows friends have no trouble with there soundcards.
TIA
Brad