Re: how to stop gnome-help-browser to start automatically?

Sorry for the delay in my reply.  I get way too much email.

Mate> I do not know what "using session management" means.  Before I
Mate> wrote my original post, I did
Mate> Main menu -> Settings -> Session Manager
Mate> and then selected "Automatically save changes to session".

"Using session management" means "running gnome-session as the last
thing in .xinitrc/.xsession".

Mate> But closing gnome-help-browser and then logging out did not
Mate> help; logging in again started gnome-help-browser.

Try this:

* close the help browser
* run "save-session" from the command line
* look in ~/.gnome/session and see if the help browser is mentioned
  It shouldn't be.  If it is, then something is broken.

One thing that could be broken is that you could be logging out in the
wrong way.  If you log out in a way that doesn't let the session
manager save the session, then next time you log in it will use the
default session, which includes the help browser.  How do you log out?