new programmer frustrated with autoconf/automake

I'm trying to learn how to use the GNU automake/autoconf system.  I'm finding the
documentation very difficult to wade through (I've been reading it all evening).  Could
someone outline the process for me?  Or point me to a site online where I can get a general
overview.  I've looked at other application's configure scripts and makefiles and so forth
and can't make heads or tails of them.  Are there utilities that automate this for me?

Any help would be appreciated.

Jamin Philip Gray
jgray@writeme.com
http://students.cec.wustl.edu/~jpg2/
http://www.linuxfreak.com/~jgray/

Only three things seem infinite:  The sky with all its stars, the sea with
all its water, and the heart with all its tears.