Desktop idea

Hi all

Firstly, I think to have to install gmc to get a "desktop" is like having to
install IE4 to get the quicklaunch toolbar thingy in doze. Maybe call it
gnome-desktop.

Then, my idea is to have a desktop on which you can draw areas and turn them
into bonobo object holders. The current "desktop" is just a folder where you
can have shortcuts, files and other folders. Not nearly like a REAL desktop
where you can stick a sticky note on it and leave a note.

Example #1:
right-click -> new area -> text -> draw a rectangle
An abiword bonobo object is then created with a few basic right-click menu
entries for bold, font etc. You type in a note and it stays there.

Example #2:
Create a gnumeric area, do a quick calculation and the object stays there for
future reference.

Example #3:
Create a mozilla object and load a certain URL. This would be a lot cooler
than M$'s "Active Desktop" idea (which sucks).

Example #4:
Create a gimp object and draw on it.

I believe many people would choose GNOME over anything else if something like
this exists.

I'm starting to learn C now so I might be able to contribute a bit in the near
future.

Thanks for your time
Sarel Botha          |     Computer &           | +27 341 81341
(sjb@dundee.lia.net) |        Accounting        | BOX 2065, Dundee