Re: ppp and gnome

On Fri, 16 Jul 1999, Ellis Gibson wrote:

>I got my ppp conection to work with the gnome modem lights applet, that
>is I can connect and disconnect when logged on as root. But it won't
>work when logged on as a user, I set ppp to work with all users and
>still nothing.
>As root:   ifup ppp0 = connect
>                  ifdown ppp0 = disconnect
>
>Please help.

Check the permissions of /dev/modem (if you have one, it should be a link
to your modem tty)

For me...

$ ll /dev/modem
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     uucp           10 May 11 20:18 /dev/modem ->
/dev/ttyS0

See what happens then...

   | Tom Gilbert, England                        pingu@linuxfreak.com |
   | www.tomgilbert.freeserve.co.uk    tom@tomgilbert.freeserve.co.uk |
   | Sites to Visit:                |    .~.                          |
   |     www.freshmeat.net          |    /V\        L  I  N  U  X     |
   |     www.gnome.org              |   // \\   >Beware the Penguin<  |
   |     www.enlightenment.org      |  /(   )\                        |
   |     http://themes.org          |   ^^-^^      www.linux.com      |