Re: Adding WindowManagers to Gnome login. (add\'l questions)

i have some questions along a similar line...  running debian 2.1 and installed
gnome via dselect: gnome-control-center 1.0.5-0.0.9, gnome-core 1.0.5-0.9,
gnome-panel 1.0.5-0.9, gnome-session 1.0.5-0.9 (any other package versions that
are important?).  i\'m starting gdm (1.0.0-7.99) from the /etc/init.d script
that
comes with it.  no problems to this point, it seems to start cleanly.

one of my questions involves window manager selection in this setup.  from what
i\'ve been able to determine (and i\'m fairly new to this game), the
/etc/gdm/Sessions/Gnome script starts gnome-seesion, which then uses
/etc/gnome/default.wm to run /usr/bin/gnome-wm.  here\'s the first catch: how
can
i set the WINDOW_MANAGER variable?  i\'ve tried setting it in my .login file,
but
(for whatever reason), it isn\'t defined when the gnome-wm script is run.
anyway, it hunts and finds enlightenment, which is just fine with me.  but then
i can\'t change this.  if i try changing my ~/.gnome/default.wm file, it
doesn\'t
seem to make any difference.  how is window manager selection done after the
initial instance?  how can i change it?  i know the preferred way is with the
control-center, but there are no wm\'s to choose from (despite having installed
the task-gnome-wm) and only the cancel and help buttons are active in the window
manager screen.

now, i could deal with only being able to use enlightenment, except i can\'t
configure it, either.  if i try running e-conf from a terminal, i get a series
of:
Unable to create socket errors, followed by:

_X11TransSocketOpen: socket() failed for local
_X11TransSocketOpenCOTSClient: Unable to open socket for local
_X11TransOpen: transport open failed for local/dovienya:0

Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: :0.0

if i try running it from an enlightenment desktop button, i get an error saying
it can\'t run, most likely because e-conf isn\'t in my path (it is).  launchers
put on the panel don\'t work, although selecting an item from the main menu
works
for most items (unless it\'s a menu item i\'ve created in my gnome user menu).
on
the other hand, anything in the gnome apps menu (called from the enlightement
desktop menu) fails, except items in the Debian submenu (confusing to me, too
:)  the only possible insight i have had is that there are two instances of gdm
running, one spawned by the other.  (if this isn\'t normal behavior) perhaps
they
are crossing signals in some way?  anomther possible symptom is that while
choosing logout from the gnome panel kills everything, while logout from
enlightenment only kills the wm.

well, if you\'ve made it this far, thanks, and i welcome any thoughts or help...

	andy

--
Andy Bezella              \"You tried your best and you failed miserably.
dovienya@interzone.org        The lesson is, never try.\" - Homer Simpson

http://www.interzone.org/~dovienya/ - in progress