adding launchers to the gnome menu

I've been wondering what people think is the best way to add launchers to
the gnome menu for regular users. I've only found the menu tool but that
seems rather indirect. I've suggjested adding a "add launcher" item to the
right click menu (the one you get from right clicking one a menu hedder
while it's open), but no one really responded. Adding this item to
that right click menu seems like the only logical way to do it (ie why
should one have to open up a program to edit something they have in front
of them?

thanks,
       Ben