lost my desktop icons

I have a shortcut on my desktop that looks like this

[kervin@sojourn .gnome-desktop]$ more netscape.desktop
[Desktop Entry]
Name=netscape
Exec=/usr/bin/netscape
Icon=/usr/share/pixmaps/netscape.png
Terminal=false
MultipleArgs=false
Type=Application

But instead of using netscape.png, gnome uses the default icon (a plain
file) to display the shortcut.  Even if I right click on the icon (on my
desktop) and choose properties and change the icon there, when I press
ok nothing changes.  This has been happening since I upgraded gnome from
the one that came with Redhat 6 to the latest tarballs.  This also
happens with my gnome-terminal shortcut on my desktop.

Thanks,
Kervin