Selecting app's icon from the panel or pager doesn't bring windows to front?

When selecting a different app from the panel or pager, that app's window is
given the focus, but it is NOT brought to the front of other windows.  I
find this very annoying, but I can't find the setting to fix this.  As this
question probably indicates, I'm a new Linux user running RH 6.0 with the
standard gnome install that comes with it.