Re: Gnome-terminal doesn't show prompt

This may help narrow this problem down:  When I run bash from within Gnome, I get a window with a prompt (white background unlike my gnome terminals that have a black background).  Thereafter, Gnome-terminals that I start will have a prompt when they start up.  If I shut down Gnome and restart it, however, the Gnome terminals once again fail to show a prompt.  Any help would be appreciated since I am at a loss for how to fix this.

Thanks,
Mike