Re: Bookmark Daemon

"Fox, Kevin M" <KMFox@mail.bhi-erc.com> writes:

| I have created a daemon for storing bookmarks.
| http://www.csoft.net/~bob/projects/bookmarkd. It has been discouraging that
| all the bookmark using programs do not use the same format or share code.
| You cant read netscape bookmarks in lynx. You cant read IE bookmarks in
| netscape... That sort of thing. This daemon should allow you to allow your
| program to easily get/set bookmarks.
|
| Basically the story is: I was board over the week end, had a few hours of
| good coding time, and I decided to try to better the world. :)
|
| I think it would be cool to add a book mark menu to gmc so that you could
| bookmark your favorite directories. The bookmark could be a simple
| file:///home/bob/whatever/ url. The "file" protocol will need to be added
| into the url handler to open gmc. If I get a few hours this week, I might
| just code it myself. If not... Joe Bob, or whoever could code it. It should
| only take a few lines of code to make it talk to bookmarkd. (That is, if
| everyone thinks it would be a good idea.)

There is an existing XML file format called XBEL. Please have a look
at it: <URL:http://www.python.org/topics/xml/xbel/docs/html/xbel.html>
It would be nice if you used it so that other browsers++ can access
the bookmarks without CORBA. Not all have CORBA support.

XBEL covers Netscape and Opera bookmarks, and Mnemonic will also use
this for bookmarks.

--
Preben Randhol             oO     "Don't think about domination,  think
[randhol@pvv.org]        .`  ;     about freedom, it doesn't dominate."