Re: SuSE and GNOME

HpG <gisler@ntb.ch> writes:

|   1. The ImageMagick packet which is distributed by
|      SuSE doesn't seem to work correctly with
|      GNOME. On my box, no PNG icons dit appear (on the panel).
|      So I have rebuilt that package on my own as well and
|      that solved the problem.

This problem will disappear after installing the package "imlibdev"
(http://www.suse.de/sdb/en/html/ke_gnome-imlib.html); unfortunately,
this package is needed even if you don't want to develop an appplication
with imlib...  But in the end, it doesn't hurt.

|   2. As Michael Perry has stated correctly, SuSE has problems
|      with their GNOME rpms because they put everything onto
|      /opt/gnome, ImO that's not so good an idea.

This is considered to work (and actually, it work for most
cases/packages).  OTOH, I'm thinking about a switch (-> /usr); but this
will not happen prior to SuSE Linux 7.0, of course.

|      I have put only the gnome-... packages into that dir.
|      All the other supporting libraries e.g. Imlib, glib, gtk...
|      I have put as usual in /usr.
|      As gtk has been put into /usr, gtk-engines of course goes
|      there as well.

That's not a problem per se.  Please, check the SuSE spec file (coming
with the source RPMs) and you'll see how you've to invoke the
./configure scripts...  It isn't that diffcult.

|   4. In quite a lot of the GNOME packages, the *.spec files
|      do a 'Prereq' check on /sbin/install-info.
|      This actually is not so good, as in the SuSE distribution
|      this file is located in /usr/bin/install-info

Thanks for the report.  Me thinks, /usr/bin is okay, since a regular
user might want to maintain an own dir file at $HOME/info.

|      So I had to check all the *.spec files for that file
|      and change it to /usr/bin/install-info
|      I don't know a great deal about .spec files, but isn't it
|      possible to replace these absolute path' whith something
|      more reliable?

BTW, on SuSE Linux install-info isn't used; SuSEconfig takes care about
the file /usr/info/dir -- this is a arguable decision, I've to admit.

Please note, I do appreciate your (bug) reports concerning the SuSE
GNOME packages.  These are most welcome at feedback@suse.de, as you
might imagine :-)

--
Karl Eichwalder