Re: SuSE and GNOME

Quoting Karl Eichwalder on Mon, Jul 05, 1999 at 05:14:45PM +0200:
> HpG <gisler@ntb.ch> writes:
>
> |   1. The ImageMagick packet which is distributed by
> |      SuSE doesn't seem to work correctly with
> |      GNOME. On my box, no PNG icons dit appear (on the panel).
> |      So I have rebuilt that package on my own as well and
> |      that solved the problem.
>
> This problem will disappear after installing the package "imlibdev"
> (http://www.suse.de/sdb/en/html/ke_gnome-imlib.html); unfortunately,
> this package is needed even if you don't want to develop an appplication
> with imlib...  But in the end, it doesn't hurt.
>
> |   2. As Michael Perry has stated correctly, SuSE has problems
> |      with their GNOME rpms because they put everything onto
> |      /opt/gnome, ImO that's not so good an idea.
>
> This is considered to work (and actually, it work for most
> cases/packages).  OTOH, I'm thinking about a switch (-> /usr); but this
> will not happen prior to SuSE Linux 7.0, of course.

Hi Karl-

A few other comments before I send some bug notes off to feedback.  As I
said in my post, the split of rpms between Jan's which are mirrored on
www.gnome.org (and are more recent) and the ones at ftp.suse.com that are
also in suse 6.1, perhaps should be coalesced into one quality package or
you both should agree on naming conventions and approaches.  As a matter of
fact, I could never get the suse rpms to work reliably with suse 6.  I never
tried suse 6.1.  I always managed to get Jan's rpms to work; but I
encountered some errors or problems like what I would term session amnesia
in which sessions seem to lose their memory after a certain amount of time.

Does suse plan on rolling out new rpms for gnome?  The gnome rpms now
offered by suse are quite ancient in gnome terms.  Witness that Jan's rpms
are dated 6 Jun and include a lot of recent updates which effectively are a
new and updated version while the suse version still are dated about the
time that suse 6.1 was released.

Actually the quote above was mis-attributed to me :-).

The situation for me is probably more academic since after talking with
Miguel at the Open Source forum in Austin, I went to RedHat 6. I will
probably try Mandrake also when I get it.  I love suse but I got somewhat
disheartened with the level of support (or lack of it) for releasing new
rpms for gnome.  I also dislike the idea about having two separate and
incompatible rpm tracks for gnome.  Moving between the two is exceedingly
difficult.

Thanks for reading this!

--
Michael Perry - 	.o0O  Gnome - http://www.gnome.org
mperry@znet.com 	( c)  Where great feet think alike!!

"Nobody can give you wiser advice than yourself" -Cicero