Re: strange session management stuff

>> [gnome-session stuff snipped]
>>
>> I think what is happening is that you are seeing why gnome-session is called
>> gnome-session. Essentially what is happening is "Session Management" -
>> ideally, what will happen is that you could close GNOME, and when you log
>> back
>> in everything is exactly as you left it. GNOME supports this, but also tries
>> to make it work with non-GNOME apps as well. Just close all applications
>> before you log out; that should do the trick.
>>

>I know, but I don't want to do that ;)  Also, I want to run gnome-session so
>all the other cool stuff runs that it lauches, all in one easy package.  There
>should be somewhere an easy "Don't say session state for non-gnome apps" or
>some such or "just don't save session state" option.

I think that Red Hat added this feature to the version of Gnome they shipped
with RH6.0 - when you log out for the first time, it gives you the option to
save your session or not, and the option to be asked next time or not. Maybe
you could use one of Dax Kelson's SRPMs to compile a RH6.0 version of Gnome
for whatever OS you're using.

The other alternative is to create a little script called my-gnome-session:

#!/bin/bash
cp ~/.gnome/session.bak ~/.gnome/session
gnome-session

Then start Gnome. Shut down anything you don't want restarted. Log out. Copy
~/.gnome/session to ~/.gnome/session.bak. Change your X startup file from
"exec gnome-session" to "exec my-gnome-session". Hey presto. From now on,
only the apps in session.bak will be started.

>To have gnome, I shouldn't have to put up with it being annoying, it should be
>a totally pleasant expereince, otherwise why put up with crap?  That's the
>window's ideal, not linux...

Crap? It has a feature which many other people like, but which you don't, so
it's crap? You certainly have high standards.

Michael Rogers