Can I use GNOME without cutting myself on the bleeding edge?

Is it possible to have a stable GNOME installation? I want to try GNOME
against but have been hesitant to do so. Last time, I stopped using
GNOME because I could take GNOME and X down by dragging a window from
one quarter of the virtual desktop to another. I thought that was, um,
not good. (Already reported the bug.) I'd like to try GNOME again if
it's at least gotten to the point where it will only crash if I do
something decently obscure.

Are there things I can do to help the stability of my installation
(aside from bug reports and prayer :])?

===

----I am a fool for Christ. Mostly I am a fool.----