Problems with gtk apps and Control Center

I'm having a few gnome related problems, I'm not sure if they are
related or not:

Prob #1:  GTK warnings
When I try to launch apps that use gtk (xmms, gnomecc, etc.) I get lots
(the number depends on which app I try to open) of the following
warnings: GTK Warning *** Unable to locate loadable module in
module_path: "libpixmap.so".  The program will launch and usually work,
but it spews these warnings all over the place!

Prob #2: Gnome Control Center
I currently don't seem to have any themes available in the theme
selector except for default.  I've got plenty of themes installed in
/usr/share/themes/ and I used to be able to select them, but now they
are not showing up in the control center list of themes.  Also, If I
leave gnomecc open and logout, I have a nice core dump waiting for me
the next time I login.

If anyone has any answers I'd appreciate it.  One thing that may or may
not be causing the problem is my original glib&gtk (version 1.2.1)
installs went under /usr/bin/, /usr/lib/, etc.  I then download a
program that want glib&gtk v1.2.3.  I downloaded the 1.2.3 RPMS and
installed them.  They seemed to place everything in /usr/local/bin/,
/usr/local/lib/, etc. and didn't remove the 1.2.1 versions.  Other than
that, I think I have a pretty stock RH 6.0.

System:
350 MHz Intel Pentium II box
RH 6.0 (ftp install)