Re: gdm and FreeBSD/shadow passwords

On Thu, 28 Jan 1999, Miguel de Icaza wrote:
> The password check is on the daemon.
>
> If you can contribute the code, or help us find code we can look at
> for doing this, I am sure Martin will be glad to take it.

sudo would be a good place to look at (the version I have introduces
itself as `CU version of sudo'). If you borrow the authentication
code from it you will get support for a lot of different platforms
at once.

To name only the IMO less common ones:

 Op. System     CPU     Compilers       Sudo    Reported         Special
Name    Rev     Arch    Used            Version By               Options
======= ======= ======= =============== ======= =============== =========
Auspex  1.6.1   sun4    bundled cc      1.3.4   Alek Komarnitsky none
ISC     4.1     i386    gcc2.7.0        1.4     Andy Smith       none
RISCos  4_52    mips    bundled cc      1.3.7   Andy Smith       --with-getpass
ConvexOS 9.1    convex  gcc2.4.5        1.3.6   Todd Miller      none
NCR     3.00    5100    bundled cc      1.4     Mark Rauschkolb  --with-getpass
Pyramid DC/OSx 1.1      bundled cc      1.4     Les Schuettpelz  none
Unicos  9.0.1ai C90     bundled cc      1.5     Sunit Nangia     none

The interface is sane and making the authentication code a (static)
library would be even better (if it isn't already done).

Regards,
Norbert