Panel errors w or w/o esound

Hi,

I've been using gnome form RPM installs since 0.12. For all of the
0.99's and perhaps the one just before that (0.30 ?), I have been having
all kinds of problems with the panel and starting apps form the panel.

I have RedHat 5.2 with all of the latest 0.99.3 RPMs installed,
including esound. I run Window Maker, 0.50.2 right now.

1) If I have any appletts defined for the panel, it takes probably half
a minute to get the panel started. If I just have apps on the panel it
starts up jpretty quick.

2) I start panel as the last step in my .xintrc file and although I have
esound app installed I don't start it automaticaly. I get these problems
if I start in xterm:

$ panel
Unable to connect to server port 35091
This generally means that the program could not talk to the esound
server
Unable to connect to server port 35091
This generally means that the program could not talk to the esound
server

SOCKET XID: 1C000B1

register ext: 80D0F70
register ext->info: 80C7BB8
add callback ext: 80D0F70
Here!
add 0x2c00005
Saving to [/panel.d/default/]
-----------------------------------
When I try to start something from the main gnome widgit off of the
panel I get this:

** WARNING **: Something is wrong, file
/usr/share/apps/./Graphics/ggv.desktop
an't be stated
Unable to connect to server port 35091
This generally means that the program could not talk to the esound
server
Saving to [/panel.d/default/]
Saving session: 1 2 3 4

3) If I start esd before starting gnome then I get this:

$ esd &
$ panel

SOCKET XID: 2C000B1

register ext: 80C9100
register ext->info: 80D5F68
add callback ext: 80C9100
Here!
add 0x3400005
Saving to [/panel.d/default/]
Saving session: 1 2 3 4
the appwidget 80C64E0
Saving to [/panel.d/default/]
Saving session: 1 2 3 4

** WARNING **: Something is wrong, file
/usr/share/apps/./Graphics/ggv.desktop c
an't be stated
Saving to [/panel.d/default/]
Saving session: 1 2 3 4
the appwidget 80C64E0
Saving to [/panel.d/default/]
Saving session: 1 2 3 4

** WARNING **: Something is wrong, file
/usr/share/apps/./System/background.desktop can't be stated

** WARNING **: Something is wrong, file
/usr/share/apps/./System/bell.desktop can't be stated

** WARNING **: Something is wrong, file
/usr/share/apps/./System/keyboard.desktop can't be stated

** WARNING **: Something is wrong, file
/usr/share/apps/./System/mouse.desktop can't be stated

** WARNING **: Something is wrong, file
/usr/share/apps/./System/ui.desktop can't be stated
Saving to [/panel.d/default/]
Saving session: 1 2 3 4

I have been looking in this list for a few weeks to see if others have
this problem, but other than esound library discussion nothing really
matches what I am seeing.

Can alnyone suggest a solution? Appreciate your help.

Glenn