Re: gdm and FreeBSD/shadow passwords

>>>>> "Peter" == Peter Housel <housel@home.com> writes:

Peter> At the moment gdm doesn't seeom to work on FreeBSD because it
Peter> uses shadow passwords.

I have no non-PAM shadow boxes so I don't know what kind of magic is
necessary. From the shadow example code it looks fairly easy, though.

Patches are welcome :) Otherwise I'll have a go at it when I'm done
implementing XDMCP support.

Peter> Could the password check be moved into the daemon or something
Peter> else done to make gdm usable on FreeBSD?

The password check *is* done by the daemon.

The previous shadow password discussion on this list was about finding
a reliable way to determine whether users should appear in the browser
or not.  The greeter runs as a non-priviledged user and thus a
password length criteria is useless.

/Martin

--
Martin Kasper Petersen			BOFH, IC1&2, Aalborg University, DK
mailto:mkp@SunSITE.auc.dk		http://www.socsci.auc.dk/~mkp/