failure to connect to esound server

redhat 5.2   intel 686   gnome-0.99.3

I first grabbed all the non-devel rpms and did an upgrade of all of
them at once.  This hit the reported imlib bug.  I then installed
imlib-devel as directed and the bug disappeared.

But i still cannot connect to the esound server and adding
esound-devel (by analogy :-)) didn't help.

thanks in advance for any help,
allan gottlieb

shorthills$ panel
Unable to connect to server port 35091
This generally means that the program could not talk to the esound
server
Unable to connect to server port 35091
This generally means that the program could not talk to the esound
server

SOCKET XID: 34000D4

register ext: 80D7EF0
register ext->info: 80D8328