compile error

I had been keeping uptodate with gnome up to about jan 5, and then with
moving back to school and all lost touch.  I just grabbed the latest cvs
tonight, and I am having problems.  When I first saw that I was getting
errors I upgraded autoconf ot 2.13 and automake to 1.4.
However I am now getting a consistant error:

make: *** No rule to make target `@MAINTAINER_MODE_TRUE@', needed by
`Makefile.in'.  Stop.

I also get a number of warnings while runing autoconf.sh, such as
aclocal: /usr/local/share/aclocal/cond.m4: 3: duplicated macro `AM_CONDITIONAL'

Since no one else has complained of this, I am assuming it is something
screwed up on my system, but for the life I me I can't figure it out.  As
much as I hate whining to the list, I am really stuck.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
-chris