Re: gnome slow

On Fri, 22 Jan 1999, Quantum Seep wrote:
> I find GNOME slow on my machine, but I think it's because of all the
> swapping.  I have a Pentium 120 and 32MB RAM.  I have 64MB swap space and
> while GNOME is running I have at best half the swap space free, sometimes
> it's running 100% real mem and 40-45MB of swap.  This is probably due to
> the fact that all the binaries are unstripped.

You probably should try GNOME size-optimized, without the debugging code.
>From bash, with egcs installed:
  $ CFLAGS="-Os -fomit-frame-pointer" ./configure --disable-debug

That should make the code considerably smaller.  Smaller code will
pageswap less, and run faster.

I would also upgrade to the latest XFree86, I find it has a slightly
smaller memory footprint.

Best of Luck,
-Gleef

Note for readers who aren't finding GNOME pageswaps often: the above
would probably slow down GNOME on your system.  Also, losing the debugging
code makes it much harder to trace down an error.