Re: GNOME won't run anymore...

 || On 24 Jan 1999 03:00:16 +0100
 || allbery@ece.cmu.edu ("Brandon S. Allbery") wrote:

 sa> In message <ufognpo8cv.fsf@fusebox.hanse.de>, "Georg C. F. Greve" writes:
 sa> +-----
 sa> | configure: error:
 sa> | *** Incorrect libz version found.  Please make sure you do not have
 sa> | *** an outdated libz.a or libz.so hiding in your X11 distribution or
 sa> | *** elsewhere on your system.  Versions of libz with the compress and
 sa> | *** uncompress symbols are sufficiently rencet to build GNOME.
 sa> +--->8

 sa> Somewhere on you system is a libz.a which doesn't have compress and
 sa> uncompress symbols in it.  Find and destroy it --- if configure found it,
 sa> other programs might as well, and then you'll get compile-time errors if
 sa> you're lucky and ugly runtime errors if you aren't.

Sorry but that's not the solution... I wish it were that simple,
though.

To make _real_ sure it can't be the case I removed all occurences of
"libz.*", "zlib.h" and "zconf.h" and reinstalled the zlib-1.1.3. This
one *definitely* has the compress / uncompress symbols in it.

I tried recompiling everything and once again ended up with:

configure: error:
*** Incorrect libz version found.  Please make sure you do not have
*** an outdated libz.a or libz.so hiding in your X11 distribution or
*** elsewhere on your system.  Versions of libz with the compress and
*** uncompress symbols are sufficiently rencet to build GNOME.

I am pretty sure the reason for this is simple. Configure appears to
be checking for the libz _before_ it is checking for the location of
the X11R6 library files. Since some systems put the libz into those
the linking fails... and config.log seems to support this theory:

configure:6068: checking for inflate in -lz
configure:6087: gcc -o conftest -g -O2 -Wall -Wno-unused -Wmissing-prototypes -W
missing-declarations -Wpointer-arith   -I/usr/X11R6/include -I/usr/gnome/lib/glib/include -I/usr/gnome/include  conftest.c -lz  -lm  1>&5
/usr/i486-linux/bin/ld: cannot open -lz: No such file or directory
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

One can easily see that -L/usr/X11R6/lib is missing here... if I
insert it it works fine.

But this is just an annoyance ... the _real_ problem was something
else...

I still get a

Gdk-ERROR **: BadPixmap (invalid Pixmap parameter)

aborting...
Aborted

whenever I try to run the panel.

So if someone has a smart guess why this happens (even though
everything compiles just fine) I'd be glad to hear it.

Regards,
	Georg

--
Georg C. F. Greve <greve@gnu.org>
"People who fight may lose. People who do not

PGP signature