RH binaries -> coredump

Hi there !

I recently (2 day ago) downloaded and installed all the latest RH (rpm)
binaries for Gnome.  This was done according to the gnome installation
info with the following exceptions:

- audiofile & esound were installed in order to allow gnome-libs
installation without dependency problems

-libPropList, ggv and gnome-admin were not installed cos I can't for the
life of me find them anywhere (well, except for a gnome-admin 0.99.1
which complains about dependency versions

(for a full list of installed rpms, see end of mail)

I can start the panel

> panel &

and it starts fine but quits with a core dump as soon as I go over the
'Red Hat menus' entry which was in there on installation ?!?!  I can't
get rid of the entry ( I tried using the 'System->Menu Editor' but that
entry is not in there ... there is nothing to get rid of (that in itself
involved firing the mouse from a rocket laucher to get over that 'Red
Hat Menus' entry before the CPU has time to work out that the pointer
goes over the entry))

Gnome provides the following info on startup/exit:

	[andy@linswiss ~]$ panel &
	Unable to connect to server port 35091
	This generally means that the program could not talk to the esound
server
	Unable to connect to server port 35091
	This generally means that the program could not talk to the esound
server

	SOCKET XID: 3C00080

	register ext: 80C1050
	register ext->info: 80C1438
	add callback ext: 80C1050
	Here!
	add 0x4000005
	the appwidget 80AEAE0
	Segmentation fault (core dumped)
	Gdk-WARNING **: GdkWindow 0x4000005 unexpectedly destroyed

Question is why ???? Are my missing RPMs the cause ? Is there a way of
getting rid of the menu entry ?

Any help would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Andy

P.S.  While I'm at it:  What on earth is a tarball ???

RPMS installed (in order of installation):

	glib-1.1.12
	glib10-1.0.6
	gtk+-1.1.12-1
	gtk+10-1.0.6-2