Re: Full release of gnome (1.0)?

"James M. Cape" wrote:

> Mike Stoddart wrote:
> >
> > Any ideas of when Gnome 1.0 full release might appear?  I'm waiting for
> > an easier install process (ie no hunting round rpm-ing individual
> > rpms).  But I have to congratulate the developers - it is far better
> > than I thought it would be.  A little memory hungry on my machine, but
> > still excellent stuff.
> >
> > Im currently using Windowmaker 0.50.2.  How do I configure gnome to log
> > out the window manager as well as itself.  When I log out using the
> > gnome panel, Im still left in the window manager.
> >
> > thanks
> > mike
>
> Change this (in .Xclients or .xinitrc):
>
> panel & [or gnome-session &]
> exec wmaker
>
> to this:
>
> wmaker &
> exec gnome-session
>
> You probably need to run the background-properties, keyboard-properties,
> and mouse-properties above the wmaker line, but I can't rememeber the
> exact syntax.

Or: change $(gnome-prefix)/share/default.session, replacing icewm with your
window manager, then start GNOME with gnome-session and have it call the
window manager.

[The "right" way to do this seems to be when configuring gnome-core: use
--with-window-manager=enlightenment or whatever.  It seems like configure.in
should look in the path for GNOME-compliant wms- icewm, enlightenment,
wmaker, etc.- and set this automagically; any reason it doesn't?]

I have not yet been able to get GNOME to log out properly with this
configuration, but I have not yet been able to get GNOME to log out properly
at all (even removing wm from default.session and starting with 'wm & exec
gnome-session").  It kills the open apps including gmc but leaves the window
manager and panel open.  But this may be Alpha/64-bit wierdness.

HTH,

-Adam `Cold Fusion' Powell, IV http://www.ctcms.nist.gov/~powell/ ____
USDoC, National Institute of Standards & Technology (NIST)  |\ ||<  |
Center for Theoretical and Computational Materials Science  | \||_> |