Recent libraries are huge: new libtool/automake at fault?

Hi, everybody

I am under the impression that recently, the typical size of
${prefix}/lib/*.so.* has gone considerably up.  This must be because
the installed libs are not (any longer?) stripped, even if installed
with `make install-strip' as I do.  (You can tell my diskspace is
limited...)

Running `make install-strip' just runs another make:
make INSTALL_PROGRAM='/usr/bin/ginstall -c -s'\
INSTALL_SCRIPT='/usr/bin/ginstall -c' install

I would like libraries to be installed with INSTALL_PROGRAM as well so
they get stripped.  Can anybody think of a reason why not to do this?

In the current setup, libraries are installed using INSTALL_DATA:
(from gnome-libs/libgnomeui/Makefile.in:
install-libLTLIBRARIES: $(lib_LTLIBRARIES)
        @$(NORMAL_INSTALL)
        $(mkinstalldirs) $(DESTDIR)$(libdir)
        @list='$(lib_LTLIBRARIES)'; for p in $$list; do \
          if test -f $$p; then \
            echo "$(LIBTOOL)  --mode=install $(INSTALL_DATA) $$p $(DESTDIR)$(lib
dir)/$$p"; \
            $(LIBTOOL)  --mode=install $(INSTALL_DATA) $$p $(DESTDIR)$(libdir)/$
$p; \
          else :; fi; \
        done

Thanks for your comments,