Re: Gnome app start up order.

On Sun, Jan 17, 1999 at 06:06:58PM +0000, Felix Bellaby wrote:
> Hi All,
>   1) add a new "SmProperty" called "Priority" which takes an integer
>      value. This value would be analogous to the number used in the
>      sysv startup script names under the /etc/rcX.d/ directories.
>
>   2) Have apps set their priority property when they start up for the
>      first time then carry the value over to subsequent sessions.
>
>   3) Provide a GUI to allow the user to tune the priorities attached
>      to the apps in a session.
>
>   4) Have apps copy the priority that they have been assigned over
>      to their default config files.
>
>   5) Have gnome-session start the apps with smaller priority values
>      (higher "priority") before apps with higher values. gnome-session
>      would wait until the apps in a given priority level had registered
>      with the SM before starting up the apps in the next level.

The only problem I see with this is that not all apps support session management in the first place. For example, Wmaker crashes when gnome-session kills it. If you add more properties to the session manager, you need to modify every app that you ever plan to have the session manager start and stop.

Frank Belew aka Myth