Re: gnome-games rpm problem

On Tue, 12 Jan 1999, Kevin Atkinson wrote:
> Gleef wrote:
> >
> > libgmodule-1.1.so.11 is in glib-1.1.11-1.i386.rpm
>
> Ok I did that.
>
> > libart_lgpl.so.1 is in gnome-libs-0.98.1-1.i386.rpm
>
> I take it that that .98 should be a .99.

Yeah, my bad.  I meant .99.

> It won't let me install I get all sorts of conflicts to .99.2

OK, last workaround (or at least the last one I can think of).
  Make sure gnome-libs-0.99.1-1.i386.rpm is installed, and run:
  $ rpm -ivh --force gnome-libs-0.99.2-1.i386.rpm

That should force the new version to supercede the old version for
whichever file there is a conflict, but have everything in the database so
future apps will install.

> > Both are in the 0.99.1 directory on the FTP site.  Make sure to install
> > them with "rpm -ivh <package file>", so that both the older and newer
> > versions will be present.  Using -Uvh will wipe out the other version.
> >
> > If you are not on an i386 machine, you're better off rebuilding the
> > gnome-games SRPM than building the older glib and gnome-libs SRPMs.
>
> I might try that.

If the above doesn't work, that's probably the best option for you
(assuming you've a chunk of disk space in /usr that could be used
temporarily).

> Should't the dependencies take care of these problems??  Sounds like a
> dependice bug to me.

Assuming you had these problems without invoking --nodeps or --force
then yes, it probably is a dependancy bug.  Both the 0.99.1 and 0.99.2
sets of RPMs were built rather quickly, and they weren't as tested as
perhaps they should have been.

Looking at the build information, it looks like the RPMs from the ftp site
are being done by RedHat Labs.  If the next builds still have dependancy
problems in them, I'm sure they would appreciate bug reports.

Best of Luck,
-Gleef