Re: esd

raster@redhat.com wrote:

> On  4 Jan, Michael Johnson scribbled:
> ->  There is talk on the WM list that WindowMaker will move towards gnome
> ->  full gnome compliance on the next release.
> ->
> ->  I don't know how much this relates to the sound element of the
> ->  environment, but I know that WindowMaker uses WMSound and not esd, which
> ->  is what gnome uses. Is this a problem? It seems to me that the sound
> ->  management of the WindowManager should be harmonious with Gnome if you
> ->  are running the two together; this is seemless when running Gnome with E.
> ->  I suppose one could just not use WMSound with WindowMaker while running
> ->  gnome... Will the esddsp feature work with WMSound, the same way it works
> ->  with other apps? And if not what would be the chances of getting esd
> ->  support in WindowMaker... or does this even matter ? <g>
>
> ask the WMsound author. If they don't want to use esd and its running
> then either 1. users will have to manually run them unser esddsp and
> hope it works, or 2. give up on sound as long as esd is running.

FWIW, converting the average /dev/dsp using audio program to use
esd natively takes anywhere from 15 minutes to an hour of coding.

If you already have multiple OS sound support, the sound interface
should be sufficiently abstracted to plug esd in as if it were
another OS.  If you send me a url for the WM source, I'll be glad
to take a crack at it, when I have some free time, and maybe even
set it up as a full configure time option.

> --
> --------------- Codito, ergo sum - "I code, therefore I am" --------------------
> raster@rasterman.com       /\___ /\ ___/||\___ ____/|/\___  raster@redhat.com

-- ebm
|  __                         a.k.a. Eric B. Mitchell |
|  |_) .  _  _|      _|  _     ericmit@ix.netcom.com  |
|  | \ ( (_ (_| (_| (_| (/_   www.netcom.com/~ericmit |
| How's My Programming?   Call:  1 - 800 - DEV - NULL |