Re: Aha! libpng error is the root of my problems; still need help

On Mon, 4 Jan 1999, R Pickett wrote:

> OK, after some diligent searching, I discovered that the reason gnome-libs
> gets horked up while trying to compile is because of an error that happens
> when trying to create gnome-stock-imlib.h, by running convertrgb over the
> .pngs in the pixmaps/ directory....  (all of this happens in the Makefile in
> gnome-libs/libgnomeui/pixmaps)
>
> Each time convertrgb gets called, I get:
> 	libpng error: Incompatible libpng version in application and library
> and gnome-stock-imlib.h doesn't get an entry in it, and so we end up with a
> basically empty header file.
>
> So, this sounds like some library linked to convertrgb is itself linked to a
> different libpng version (possibly statically?), but I can't figure out which
> one it might be for the life of me...
>
> 'ldd convertrgb' gives me:
>         libXpm.so.4 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libXpm.so.4 (0x40007000)
>         libpng.so.2 => /usr/lib/libpng.so.2 (0x40014000)
This means that convertrgb is dynamically linked to the libpng.so.2
library in your /usr/lib directory.  I can't tell which version of libpng
this is (1.0.1 or 1.0.2), since they both share the so number at this
level (so.2).

> but running ldd on each of those shows that none of those are linked to libpng
> at all.

That is normal.  A shared library is generally not linked to many other
libraries, counting instead on the application to supply the appropriate
library links to resolve the unresolved symbols.  I would be surprised if
the libraries linked to any more than libc.so and /lib/ld-linux.so.

> This is libpng-1.0.2, freshly compiled from source to try to figure
> this out.

This is probably your problem.  There have been many systems (particularly
Alphas, but not exclusivly as I understand) with problems with libpng
1.0.2.  I suggest you downgrade to libpng 1.0.1.

Also, when you compiled from source, where did you install it?  Most
libraries compiled from source go in /usr/local/lib, but convertrgb is
looking in /usr/lib.

Best of Luck,
-Gleef