GNOME_STABLE--PURPOSE?

I may have missed something, but what is the point of
having a GNOME_STABLE branch? Are there that many new features
going to come out in a short amount of time? What if a
new feature is added and other software use that feature,
then people have to use the developemental branch instead of
the stable one. But if you only have one that is stable
it stops developers from jumping the gun on new features
that won't work in a new stable release. I could be wrong, I just
don't see a very good point to have two branches.

Dill