Newbie nonsense

Well, I waited until everything looked fairly stable, and done, so I
read the install instructions online and downloaded everything
(RPM-wise) and started to install.  Only problem is that the rpm's in
the "latest" directory (or 0.99.1) don't represent a complete
installation.  In wandering around the ftp site, I find more "stuff" in
the 0.99.0 directory that MIGHT be everything I need, but dependencies
are failing all over everywhere.  Since the documentation on the site
assumes that I've been installing and updating everything since day one,
can someone suggest what I need, and where I need to go in order to get
all of the pieces and parts to install gnome?

TIA