gnome-objc compiling problems

    I am trying to get a working install of GNOME on my slackware 3.6 system. I have followed the tarball installation instructions correctly, however I have problems when I get to compiling gnome-objc. On running the configure script, it tells me it cannot find a working Objective C compiler. I have never gotten this message before from any other configure script, and I have compiled MANY things. I have the latest version of gcc, and I also tried installing the latest version of egcs, but that didn't work either...any ideas?