Re: GNOME development in C++

On Fri, 26 Feb 1999, Russell Steinthal wrote:

> I referred to this as an aside in an earlier message, but I guess it
> got lost in the shuffle... Anyway, my question is, has anyone done
> any GNOME work in C++ yet?  Is gtk-- a usable library?  (I've never
> done any substantial work with either it or plain-old GTK, although
> I've worked through the GTK tutorial).

Yes! You can see my Guppi application in the 'guppi2' CVS module, and
gnome-apt on the Debian CVS server, see
http://www.debian.org/~hp/gnome-apt.html
http://www.gnome.org/guppi/

Gtk-- has some initial Gnome-- bindings I wrote, but they aren't as
complete as the Gtk-only ones.

My newer apps don't use Gtk--, but there is an obsolete version of Guppi
in the 'guppi' CVS module that does (it won't compile with newer
libraries). Gtk-- is fairly stable recently, but you only need to use it
if you prefer the API; plain Gtk+ works fine from C and has the same
functionality. Disadvantages of Gtk-- include an extra library, it's not
released yet, and compile times are a bit longer; since I was making the
decision some months ago these problems were more severe so I didn't use
it. But it is a very nice library, and gives you all the usual advantages
of a C++ toolkit.

There are also a couple of other C++ wrappers, look on www.gtk.org for
links.

> PS: I wasn't sure if this were best asked on gnome-list or
> gnome-devel- what's the charter for gnome-devel, anyway?

gnome-devel is for Gnome development, so it's probably a better list.
Live and learn. :-)

Havoc