proper gnome startup procedure

Hello all,

I have a quick question that I have found various answers for in the
docs and faq's.  I've compiled Gnome and E using CVS server, and I can
make everything startup fine when I have the following in my .xinitrc
file

panel &
/usr/local/gnome/enlightenment/bin/enlightenment

(I have E installed in a directory called gnome that I created)

The thing that is strange is that if I use:

exec gnome-session

instead, my system starts to load X and then dumps me back to the
prompt.  Is there a switch or something like that I should have added
when I compiled gnome to make it aware of E?  I did make a symbolic link
to the E binary from /usr/local/gnome/bin and that directory is in my
path so that isn't the problem.  I'm not sure what is causing this to
occur, but if anyone has any ideas or can point me to a URL, I'd
appreciate it.

What happens now is when I exit E I get a number of gtk+ critical errors
after it exits me back to the CLI.  I think that these are all of the
applets closing in my gnome toolbar, and believe that I could eliminate
these errors by getting the gnome-session to work properly.  When I
close out of Gnome, and then shut down E, these errors go away.

Thanks in advance,

Roger