Re: Panel sliding: Old slide algorithm back please?

Sri Ramkrishna <sri@aracnet.com> writes:

> I dunno, I never really liked the variable speed animation which caused me
> to turn them off.  I like the current one much better.  Probably should be
> a option or something.  Although there probably should be a line drawn as
> to how far we want please everyone, otherwise we'll simply be making GNOME
> large.

Let me butt in here :)

For me, the whole feel of GNOME is "fun" - y'know, when you first
started using a computer as a youngster, you kept at it for hours -
didn't stop - because it was FUN!  Tweaking things to change them,
adding ridiculous sounds to actions, hacking out assembly TSR programs
under DOS so that they run quickly on a 4.77MHz 8088.  Installing new
command shells like 4DOS and programming Telemate.  Installing
slackware for the first time and recompiling your kernel.  Connecting
to the internet and using IRC.  (well, that last one wore off rather
quickly:))

The reason I until very recently lost this zest was because the
software just got so BORING.  There was no adding to the look and
feel; it just kinda plateaued.  The warmth was gone.  Software became
shrouded, commercial and obfuscated.  The people lost their power to
enjoy their computing.

Now GNOME comes along with pixel mapped widgets, translucent moving of
windows, windows sliding on to the screen when they're started, great
looking icons that look like a lot of LOVE went into them all,
customisation for almost everything that you could think of... and a
cool application panel that accelerates and decelerates nicely.  No
linear motion, it almost feels alive.

All of these things make me excited about what the future of computing
will bring, and makes me want to become a part of it.

I think that the cool acceleration should be the default behaviour,
and perhaps an option for sticks in the mud who don't like it :-)
--
Sam Vilain, sam@whoever.com         work: sam.vilain@unisys.com
http://www.hydro.gen.nz                home: sam@hydro.gen.nz