problems with Kernel 2.2.1 upgrade....

HI there all...

I have not long ago got a copy of the .2.21 kernel. I followed all of the
instructions in the kernel compile faq, and yet when i boot and get to the
login prompt - it still reports my OLD kernel version number- ie -
2.0.36...? In looking at the things it has compiled in - it seems to be
different so it MUSDT have upgraded based uppon the new compile but fr some
reason it wont report the correct number - wht have i done wrong??

also - in making the "ppa" module load before the "lp" module (so i can use
my zip disk as well as printer) what file do i load these modules (and
oythers) from at boot time? I am using RedHat 5.2...?

Thanks for ya help.

Matt L.