gnome-session starts

Thank you Owen.  I added the line:  0.0.0.0   newt   (the name of my machine) to the /etc/hosts file so I can ping myself.  I use PPP and otherwise am not on a network.   Now I only have the statement "exec gnome-session" in my .Xclients and it works!  I earlier deleted that line in the hosts file because for some reason the sendmail deamon would hang on boot up with it.

Owen Taylor wrote:

"Tim Lewis" <tlewis@digaudio.com> writes:

> I would appreciate it if one of the developers knowledgeable on session
> management would read this and comment.  At least three users have had the
> same problem and symptoms.  This seems to be a major bug.  It also seems
> that at 0.99.8, session management should be pretty stable.  Perhaps I am
> wrong.

First, there is so much traffic on gnome-list, developers
may well not see the bugs that are relevant to them.
Putting uninformative subject lines like
("Will a developer please respond...") doesn't really
help.

The best way to get your bugs looked after is put
them in the gnome bug tracking system. (See
http://bugs.gnome.org) We don't guarantee immediate
response, but that way, you can be sure that your
bugs won't get lost.

To return to the problem at hand, it seems that the
problem is that SmsGenerateClientId is failing.
The most likely reason for this seems to be that
it can't do a reverse lookup on your hostname.

Does:

 ping `hostname`

work for you?

Clearly, gnome-session needs to handle this better,
and at least give an informative error message.

Regards,
                                        Owen

--
        FAQ: Frequently-Asked Questions at http://www.gnome.org/gnomefaq